If ever I was doubting that the LGBB was anything like me, this past fortnight I have taken comfort in the knowledge (although some amongst us would not advise I take comfort, as such, rather accept condolences) that she apparently has at least some of my taste in what constitutes foot-tapping music.
I was becoming excited to watch her burgeoning musical fancies, seeing her all-over-body unstoppable jiggle-wiggles, replete with the cutest Walk Like An Egyptian-style neck wobble. That was until I started to pay attention to exactly what kinds of sounds were causing this newfound desire to move.
The first sign that she was indeed her mother's daggy sentimental daughter was during the Top 100 Aussie Rock countdown on Music Max....
• Tuckers Daughter
• My Baby
• Great Southern Land
and countless similar others of the same era all got a rating of Too Hard Not To Groove Along from the LGBB. And then, in the days that followed, a plethora of vastly different others:
• Follow You, Follow Me (Genesis, while never that popular to admit to liking, remains a staunch fallback in this house for "stuff to play when you can't be bothered putting any effort into what you want to listen to" and it looks like the LGBB has caught that bug)
• Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
• Voulez-Vouz
• Magic Carpet Ride
• Sweet Child O' Mine (don't even ASK how I feel about Steve announcing he wishes he had that album because he'd love to hear it again)
• the tinkly music on her musicbox (never fails to entice the inner desire to boogie)
• Closing credits of The Simpsons (that's our girl)
...still all gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside to see her shimmying uncontrollably. She was shaping up to like what I like!
And then, as Steve swept out the garage a few days ago and the LGBB was in her swing just outside, I caught her boogying along like a mad thing to the "tune" of Daddy beating cobwebs off the inside of the garage door with a broom. The beat, and not necessarily rhythmic, of the sweeping was enough to set her off apparently.
So it looks like my little Dancing Queen isn't so discerning (yet) after all. Though I will hold firm to anyone who challenges me, that there is definitely a leaning towards the rockier of the rock tunes. Oh, well, that and *very sheepish tiny writing* for some reason she has a penchant for The Pussycat Dolls (which I can assure you she only hears by absolute accident if I haven't raced for the remote fast enough during Video Hits).
2 comments:
Lolly totally needs a mix tape at this crucial juncture of her burgeoning musical appreciation.
And I am just the person to make that mix tape.
WHAT? Stop lookin' at me like that!
Oh, but of course! Haven't I been waiting on one of those since 2004 anyway?
Mind you, introduce her to Nick Cave and I'll make you mincemeat.
Post a Comment