Friday, March 10, 2006

No, sorry, you don't get to say that

The conversation went like this:

Me: Ugh that freakin' dog next door. It heard the phone ring and it's barked at it. It. Barks. At. Every. Fucking. Thing.

Friend: Ugh. Fuckin' dogs, I hate 'em.

Me: *temperature rising because I knew what was coming and I've addressed this with said friend before*

Friend: Oh.... except for your dogs, I hate 'em, kill 'em all.

Me: That's.....riiiight....

Now, when we "addressed" this in the past, I likened my friend telling me she hates my dogs and just being downright rude in what she said about them and her tone while doing it, to me telling her I hate her child. She replied it was a bit different and I said "How? Pepper, in particular, is like my child. Until a child comes along who I can love and lavish attention and affection on, these are my children and just like I wouldn't say in derrogatory terms that I hate what X is doing, I get upset when I hear you talk that way about my children."

She apologised. I don't think she agrees. I don't think she fully gets it. But FGS, I am sick of this friend in particular, simply because she hates dogs, thinking it's okay even in gest making remarks under her breath and telling them to shut up, especially since I had it out with her and told her how important they were to me. It's disrespec', in my opinion! I mean..... who could hate them? Especially my girls? A mother's love is blind, I know, but how offended would she be if I started showing dislike towards her child? Pretty bloody lots, I think *tapping foot agitatedly*

This is not to say that my doggies don't shit me. Of course they do. Just like children occasionally, they annoy, they pester, they naaaaaag. But I wouldn't expect that this friend will ever be so vocal if my (eventual) child does something that's annoying her so much. But herein lies the question: will she actually think it's okay, seeing as she's this blatant about how she feels with, dogs or no, two creatures I love dearly? It's downright mean-spirited. Surely it wouldn't take much for her to say nothing, but it's gotten to the point when if she's visiting and they get excited that someone's here or they bark to warn me or anything, I bristle because she bristles because she hates them and I know she does!

I'm perturbed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand your frustration...I feel the same way about my baby, my cat Ramses...why can't people see ho important they are to us?
Although I do see the irony of me, the cat lover, making this comment to a dog lover....:)....

Me said...

My puppyboys can do no wrong!

Anonymous said...

You can't make her love them but you can certainly train her to keep her gob shut! Really, it's the dogs'(and your) home, I think your friend needs to show some RESPECT. If not, banish her!