Wednesday, March 22, 2006

You had me at Grilled Cheese



Behold! Cheese.

Is there no mood it can't fix? I ask you.

Current lunchtime addiction:
Grill one side of 3 slices multigrain, the big fatty slab variety.
Turn over and spread liberally with avocado, thin sliced red onion rings, roma tomato slices, sundried tomatoes if you've gottem ("smoke if you gottem") and then vigorously shake sea salt and pepper all over them.
And then...... the cheeeeeese. Vintage old & bitey (named after Grandma??) tasty cheddar slices are the best.
Grill it til it nearly burrrrns, baby.

And oh my. I do believe I would serve them for dinner, if we were so inclined to have you over. It almost beats Steve's Toasted Cheese Sandwiches (for which capitals are a respectful must).

Peggyshaddow can attest: Steve grills the best cheese sandwich you've ever had in your life. Doesn't matter how many times I've tried to emulate the exact perfection. But I never have. He seems to balance the right amount of cheese with the right amount of butter on the outside with the right amount of time face down in the pan with the right amount of onion salt. I get too zealous and stuff it up and end up burning the salt or being too generous with the cheese.

That's it then. I can never leave him.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. I'm coming to your house for dinner!

Anonymous said...

OMG Can I come too??? Jaffa, me and you babe!

Anonymous said...

Try toasted cheese sandwiches with dijon mustard and sour cream. Cheddar works well.

Anonymous said...

Is 9.35 am too early for lunch?

Anonymous said...

OMG - I thought I was the only person in the world who made this variety of a toasty - I use roma (not sundrieds) though. I squeeze a huge amount of lemon all over them for thier final grilling and then put a massive dollop of full fat sour cream on top - yummy

Saffi x