Anyone with a dog has done this. I am SURE I'm not the only lunatic *thinks long and hard and considers taking that statement out*
Last night, I was walking down to our bedroom and went past Jazz, who has decided to claim one of the couches in our lounge ever since I left a doona there from the last heady days of pregnancy when I needed to find the easiest thing to roll off after "sleeping". She has always been a puppy who's non-fussed by her non-ladylike demeanour and dozes off on her back, back legs splayed to all and sundry and front legs up in the begging position. Her head arches back, exposing her neck and she is quite obviously very comfortable and fears nothing.
Aaaanyway, when I went past I didn't know she was there in the darkened room until I heard her having a doggy-dream. I couldn't resist. I went up to her and started flicking her paws up. Nothing. They simply bobbed back to their resting position. So I tickled her nose, the bit between her nostrils and cute little doggy mouth. Nothing. Hmmm, she must really be asleep, I thought, amused. So I did it. The thing I have done to just about every dog we've ever owned, right back from when I was a kid.
I shoved two fingerpads against her nostrils. Just to plug them up and see what happened. And it worked beautifully. She started breathing out of her mouth instead, without waking. Bwahahaha! O to be THAT asleep. When she did wake, very shortly after that, she didn't stir. Simply opened her eyes, her head and body still in that luxurious position. Such a funny, placid, gorgeous natured dog. I'm starting to suspect more and more that it was part of the Master Plan to get her, train her up, have her here waiting by the time Lolly came along.
They are going to get along famously. I can tell.
3 comments:
The playing with the paws etc yes, but the nose thing, nope. Of course you know what I'll have to go do now. DS spends most of his time outside playing with "the boys", kids and dogs can be such a beautiful mix. Handled carefully and responsibly blah blah.
PMSL - same here, haven't tried the nose thing, but Nikki usually sleeps the same way but with her tongue hanging out. I can't resist tickling it.
Hugs
Dani
hehehe!! Nope - never done it to a dog, but I have done it to my cat Penny - a big fat fluffy thing who sleeps the same way as Jazz does. Cats seem to sleep lighter than dogs though so I only get a quick paw tickle in before she wakes up!
Redted
Post a Comment