I've been thinking lately about teaching the LGBB how to spell. And when the time comes, I can't for the life of me figure out how I logically explain to her that certain rules apply for certain words.
Sure, you've got your clear-cut "i after e except before c" and how to add "ly" on the end of words, etc. But there are so many pronounciations that don't follow logic - one of these words is not like the other....
Think about it:
bough
plough
but then there's...
trough
cough
And how about:
cow
now
but we also have...
bow (as in tie)
The English language is a veritable minefield of potential slip-ups. And I thought learning Japanese must be hard because of their 23 (or is it 26?) alphabets. Nu-uh, I am sure learning English would be so much more complicated. Hats off to anyone who has to.
And that includes all the bright-eyed little kiddies out there just waiting to be swallowed up by our education system.
2 comments:
Then you start to read books and they have "leaped" and you start wondering if "leapt" was ever a word or if Disney got it wrong???
Ha ha! :) Now you are getting an idea of just how complicated the English languag is and how difficult it is for teachers of young! Did you know there are about 9 different ways to pronounce the 'ough' sound??
Good luck!
Karelle
Post a Comment