Thursday, May 17, 2007

Cap in hand, farewell friends

NOOOOO!

The last Gilmore Girls aired in the US on the 15th May. I am gutted. Through the power of technology and a caring and sharing global audience, I watched the ep just now.

I feel ripped off that I didn't realise until the final credits that I had actually just seen the last of the people of Stars Hollow (shuddup, they're real if you've been following them for 7 years - hell, many of my past friendships haven't lasted that long).

I feel like I should... I dunno, mourn or something. So much of the relationship I watched between Lorelai and Rory (mum and daughter) really deeply affected me in the months after we lost Ella. Steve and I would both sit here crying over it, often. And it's a funny show (is it pertinent here to also confess I even shed tears when Izzy from Neighbours lost her baby back in '04 though? That's when I knew I had to back away, I was becoming too dependent on it to distract me and oh my God I just managed to admit to you all that I actually watched Neighbours to help fend off depression... little wonder it didn't really cut the mustard).

Ok, but anyway, where was I? Oh that's right. Crying. Over shows that reminded us of Ellanor. Or at least, rather, the potential of what could have been that would never become. Yeah. It's more than an important show for me. It became like a strange sort of extension of my family. It's no secret I love Lorelai (Lauren Graham) to the ends of the earth. I want to be her friend. Why can't I live there? Why isn't it real? Why isn't there a Luke's I can walk to for coffee (and a Luke), where's my Suki, the witty reparté, all of it? Oh and of course... the clothes and hair. Never saw so many good looking, well groomed people in the one small town. BUT that's not the point.

The point is... it's gone. Finished. Whatever will I do?

No comments: