Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Praying online

I hear a local radio station (Christian... don't ask me, I just like the music) encouraging listeners to pray for rain and break this drought. "You can even pray online at www....."

I started to scoff, thinking this praying "business" was a little out of hand. Sort of indignant that this recent spate of rain spells could be attributed by some of this station's listeners to their devout prayers.

But then, it occurred to me: no shift happens "just 'cause". There is a big school of thought ('scuse the pun) that the globe's weather is mastered by universal thought and attitude. I must remember in my spare millisecond to try and hunt out some further information on this theory. But is it a theory?

If people want to pray for rainfall and then rainfall happens.... is it because of them?

Or it just because it's actually winter, when rain is likely to happen anyway? Hrmm yes, I think I'd be more impressed if they prayed in the height of summer: "Unseasonable rain has filled the ebbing reservoirs..."

This isn't to say it's not good, nice, willing of them to do something, anything, because I'm of the belief that, hell yeah, many many things and not just the weather would be a lot smoother if collectively, people's minds were more geared towards thinking positively and therefore lightening the mood of the world. But then, I also believe that'll never happen so I can stay firmly in this belief and never be proved right or wrong.

Ha hah. I ... win ... I think.

No comments: