Thursday, May 24, 2007

If you're happy and you know it...

Well, I dunno. Despite this being the shittiest week with the LGBB (and other stuff) that I can remember in a very long time - she's teething for all the babies in Australia and passes on her deepest condolences to Baby Schmoo for jinxing her too - it seems even in sleep, old Lolly keeps on truckin'.

Stealthily creeping into her room last night to turn down her music (God that kid plays her stereo loud during the day) and rescue an angrily-flung dummy from the folds of Teddy's arm at the head of her cot, Steve paused mid-pad on the carpet because she stirred.

Arms up. Arms down. Fast. Staccato. Like she was making deranged bedsheet angels.

Then all of a sudden, up came the arms, eyes still tightly shut in sleep. Hands, pert and straight as boards, met in mid air to make three sharp claps. And then her arms fell back down by her sides as if she hadn't moved a hair. All the while, an amused beam on her face.

I don't care anymore that she only slept for two 10-minute powernaps between 10am and 7pm.
I don't care that my previously busy, planned day was reduced to rubble because of those sleeps.
I don't care that she's started getting the shits up - how did my father tactfully, tongue-in-cheek, put it in his email: Stick with the teething business. I’m not surprised she gets her paddy up – family trait I’m afraid. Means that she will have a fierce independence when she grows up * - whenever I haven't understood her heart's desires.

Because she claps and grins in her sleep.


* Good God, help us. And I love a bloke who can use "paddy up" in a sentence.

1 comment:

cjtato said...

Hang on I'll try that again!

How cute that she is practising in her sleep.

We have 2 sleep talkers here if you count DH! Makes for some interesting conversations at night! Mwahahahaha...

Makes it all the more worth while though don't it?

Speaking of which, Schmoo has just walked in playing the recorder. Oh the talent! PML