Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Grand Finale of the Birthday Week

God, what a festivus this week has been. The crescendo being her actual party today at home, the LGBB delighted one last time, until who knows when Mummy/Daddy will succumb to the ways of introducing more sugar, in a fist full of sweet cake. Sweeeeeet.

I've never seen her so relaxed in a crowd. Maybe it's because we were. Steve and I have been chatting tonight, over left over gourmet pies for him and dips and chips and sparkling pink for me (blergh I feel like a bloated skanky pleb for scoffing food but we didn't have much all day). And we have decided we are finally getting it right; the balance between obligatory and necessary attendees to important days for us. It was great. The necessaries outweighed the obligatories 10-1. We also decided it's nice when your obligatories are also your necessaries.

Lolly was an utter delight. I was so impressed that she didn't seem too phased by all the people. She's not appreciative of anyone being in her face, less so of people standing over her to watch her perform and play. Oh how thoroughly stifling. But she took everything in her stride and when she implored with her little open-close fists for me to take the cue and ask if she wanted to go to bed, the relieved whinny told me she'd be better for a quick kip before cake time.

Her cake eating scene was inspired. Despite feeling ill just watching her hoe into that Betty Crocker chocolate iced number and then cramming a fistful of cupcake in her gob, it was awesome to watch something I helped create devour carbs so unashamedly. In front of a crowd. And I prayed for her like never before that she has inherited Daddy's metabolism.

Cake time over, she delighted in more of this intriguing surprise-inside-crinkly-stuff business, exclaiming graciously over every single gift she opened, with a splay of hands and a "aaaah!" squeal or sigh at every one. I could have melted into the floor I was sitting on to help her open them.

And now, one last flurry for the time being, I give you pictures of Lolly (make my life so wonderful) and her last birthday hurrah:


Bears and their silly fart jokes.


Sometimes a girl's just gotta roll up her sleeves and get on with the job (of eating).
Yes, it's another bear cake. Yes, we made it (the 79c non-name butter cake mix trick worked, Ms Taters!). And yes.... those are cupcakes with tiny teddies on them.

Why would a girl want to tackle the big daddy when a mini version is within easy grab?


Can't talk. Eating.


Why use one hand when you have two? Decorum is soooo overrated.
The LGBB discovers the art of loving your food so much you have to hug it.


Will clap 4 cake.


Grandpa, you pop up in the strangest of places.


Business as usual as of tomorrow, I'm sure. Have a tonne of things to sort through now that this excellent distraction of a party has used up the last of my excuses, dishes to do, books to write, floors to clean. You know, the usual. Things to compartmentalise and trains of thought to capture before they vanish.

It's all good. Thank God for friends. Today was made very safe and warm. Will have a nice long sleep (one can only hope).

2 comments:

cjtato said...

So glad you're party was all that and more.

Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

And the cake was spectacular.

Just one tip. If you don't want to do that every year. Stop before she remembers. AJ reads through the cake book every second day and I think she has chosen cakes for each year now to last her until, oh about, 2033. ROFL

Anonymous said...

I had a great time, Lolly ooohed and ahhhed and clapped right on cue. Awesome stuff. Same with those little curry chicken pies.