Saturday, June 09, 2007

So simple it's childs' play

The poor LGBB.

Playing on the floor with Daddy this morning, he noticed that she doesn't have that same innocent "If I do A, B happens" mentality. It's not that she doesn't know how. She just doesn't want to. Wild horses couldn't make her. There's not much delight happening with the whizz-bang showy toys (not that we have many), she's happy to watch us play with the ball-down-the-slide giraffe flashy lights and music toy. And we get a rather pained smile from her when we say anything about the music or where the ball has gone, etc. You get the picture.

I tied one of her prized wooden bees on a string. Now, if there's one thing the LGBB will do anything (or try her damndest) for, it's her bees. I read somewhere that if you tie a toy to a string or ribbon, then put it under the couch and let your baby pull the string til the toy becomes visible, joy and rapture will ensue. Well, it worked insofar as she was gleeful that she saw her bee again (after all, it had been so long since she'd seen him, 20 seconds at least) but only if I was the one doing all the work.

So back to this morning. Steve tried the same "trick" with her and he observed that she has a bit of a challenge... well, looking at things like a regular, 'excited by the little things' baby. Instead of sitting there going, "Oh LOOK! My cherished bee is moving", her look more says "Oh I see, that string is attached to my toy so when forces are applied to said string, the force must be greater than the force of the friction and gravity holding the toy in position. Hence, a light tug on the string is not enough to break this force and the toy remains stationary. However, a greater force allows it to move. How quaint of Daddy to show me."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO! Priceless. C'mon i think we all know LGBB is dmarter than the lot of us. It's in the eyes i tell ya!

Anonymous said...

I bet she can even spell better than me LOL

Anonymous said...

*wheezing*