Saturday, October 01, 2005

About moi

This is so tragic, my profile is too huge to look "noice" in the sidebar, so I am just going to slot it in here as a post. And this way, I can highlight all our m/c's! It'll be fun!

I live with my husband Steve, our two dogs, 12 yr-old rescued-from-a-shelter kelpie, Pepper and young Tasmanian-devil-petshop-bought-terror-pup Lab, Jazz. No really, that's what it said on the tag of her cage. And we bought her anyway (are we nuts??).

And here's a 'brief' history of our lengthy efforts for a family:
Jan, 2000: Pg first try, m/c @ 13wks
Took a break until 2002 - or, since I'm being caring and sharing, I'll be honest: we had 6 months of marriage counselling in 2001, following a breakdown in communication largely to do with the unresolved blow of having our first m/c. Best thing we ever did (er, the counselling, not the d&c....).
Jan, 2002: Pg first try, m/c @ 5wks
March, 2002: Pg next cycle, m/c @ 4.5wks
April, 2002: Did tests for multiple m/c, discovered Steve has a balanced translocation (chromosomes 11p:22t) which results in 1 out of 3 pregnancies ending in m/c due to trisomy/monosomy or mixture of both involving those chromosomes.
Sept, 2002: m/c @ 5.5wks
Took 9 month break. Went to a homoeopath to treat candida brought on by all the pregnancies, and lost 10kg's.
June, 2003: Our lives changed forever when I fell pg first try again with our miracle baby Ellanor, born 10 wks early in Jan 2004, without any effect of the translocation but with an unrelated congenital heart defect - she died at 4 weeks of age due to complications of a gastric virus in the NICU.
Since July 2004, we've had three more m/c's, done 2 cycles of IVF with PGD over the past 5 months, and we're still waiting patiently for that one elusive baby to call our own and share our lives with.

Despite all this, and all uncertain protests that we can't possibly be "ok" from the PIL aside, we're loving life (you can do it you know). And that new show, House.....

No comments: