Monday, August 20, 2007

Previously on SimpsonsLover

We left the progression of the LGBB's lack of crawling on a high, if unanswered, note. The osteo treatments heading in the right direction. The xrays reported to show no abnormalities.

In this instalment, we learn:

• The Paed appointment (with Paediatrician Denny Crane - ok, so that's not his real name but it's what we call him because of certain resemblances) today gave us more questions rather than answers.
• Lolly reeeeeeeeeally doesn't like being manipulated by way of limbs being pushed and pulled in an unrelaxing manner (who does?) and is not shy to advise as much.
• Her fine motor and communication skills are going swimmingly but for some as yet inexplicable reason, her gross motor skills are underdeveloped.
• We're not to be concerned (uh.... yuh, get back to you on that one, but Steve seems to have that down pat).
• We have to take the LGBB to a Paediatric Neurosurgeon asap and also a Paediatric Physio before our next appointment with Dr "Crane" at the end of October.
• Mummy must try not to spend too long Googling sentences like "why can my child carry on a conversation with me but doesn't even attempt to weight bear" and so forth, or alternately rocking in a corner in a puddle of her own wee about all this.
• We must really have left an impression (what sort we'll never know) on the maternity ward staff. We popped round for a visit as we were within cooee of the hospital. Our favourite midwife was there and she appropriately squooshed Lolly's rosy cheeks and blew her hair and got coy smiles from our little poker player, who most certainly was not giving away her hand today, not after the insult she received from Dr Crane. In the hallway, several other midwives stopped to say hi and they still remembered us. Back from when we had Ella and obviously now Lolly too. Remembered Steve was Steve, remembered our surname. It was a really nice acknowledgement. The predictable murmur in my ear of "so are you and Steve planning another one?" put my stomach in instant knots - I'm still pulled by that thought. When we wandered round to see the Neonatal Office Administrator who we also always say hello to if we're in that hospital and who we drop off the annual NICU bed sheet donation on Ella's birthday, we passed a new mummy being wheeled in her bed from seeing her bub in Special Care. She was glassy eyed. Not happy. Not anything. I felt for her so much. It surprised me though and I was able to benchmark my healing progress: I didn't feel envy. Usually I feel envy. But all I could (ashamedly) feel was "Thank GOD.....", just so thankful I'm not in the remotest position of having to cope with the prospect of all that anytime soon. But then I was wistful that I couldn't just click my fingers and pop a baby out.

In other news, the LGBB treated us to a (caught on film) long conversation at dinner last night. Over a hearty meal - which most impressed Dr Crane - of blue grenadier (like, the whole freakin' massive Daddy-sized piece) and a bowl of vegies which she fed herself entirely, oh 'cept the broccoli because that can bite her - the LBGG was able to communicate that she wanted Bazz to come inside.

I was recording a bit of her eating at the table when all of a sudden she turned to me and garbled something (very meaningful by the earnest look). So instead of simply humouring her, I asked her to repeat what she said. Again, she made the same sounds "O'! ....Doh!" with a mock-surprised look, raised eyebrows and splayed hands. Then she looked towards the glass side door to outside and said "Jah'!" I asked "Jazz?" And she repeated everything again, with added exaggerated peering around her highchair suggesting she was looking for the dog. So I said "Would you like mummy to let Jazz inside? Should we let Jazz come in?" and she cheered gleefully. Now I ask you.... is that a child with a developmental delay?

But still, that niggling worry is there. So I am really pleased that Dr Crane, Denny Crane (oh come ON, one of you must have seen Boston Legal and know the type of character I'm talking about), is ordering an exhaustive investigation. He did admit it was unusual to see a child of her age not weight bearing for any significant amount of time, nor even holding on to us when we hold her (hence this goddamn tenosynovitis that still plagues me) - her upper torso is stiff (we call her a bird with broken wings because of the way she holds her arms when we carry her) and her legs dangle limply. Rarely does she wrap her legs around our waist in an effort to assist at all, so she usually ends up slipped down to our knees if we've had to let go with one arm to do something while carrying her.

We'll get there. But 'scuse me while I just stay quiet and/or lay low and/or write copious delirious posts here avoiding the topic for the next two months.

5 comments:

Amoir said...

1. Can I give a loud, resounding "TESTIFY" to the fact he does indeed resemble Denny Crane. Fo' Sho'.
2. LGBB - she's wacky, non? Cause she's totally got that whole "Village of the Damned" preternatural intelligence thing going on.

Anonymous said...

Is there something 'wrong' with the child not wrapping their legs around you? Cos I have a almost-3 year old here who has never once put his legs around us when we've held him. Not a single bit of once!

Anonymous said...

Great that you are plodding through methods, schools of thought etc in order to get an idea of where LGBB is at developmentally. But I am worried about your own developmental process, dear girl. Each step you take seems to agonise you more? Get into LGBBs head, and ask her what she wants you to do for her, or what she wants to do. She will tell you. Promise.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Lise said.
I hope you are ok.

Simpsonslover said...

Hey, thanks :)

Ticks to the VotD reference. If she was blonder, I'd be skeered.

Am trying to balance wishes and needs of her father here too, I guess I forgot to point out. I can't very well say "I have a bit of an inkling" because he's not real keen on just leaving it, not when we can have a few simple visits with people and be done with the worrying.

We know she'll get right on to it, the kid has an uncanny look in her eye and (dare I unnervingly say) sort of almost outwits me with her manner - and I ain't Robinson Crusoe there, mm hmm. Her smarts are just fine. But we have to exhaust avenues now, to satisfy the clutches of the western medical profession, at least to a point where I'm not being hounded by an over-zealous GP (three times she called me, three!!) who's probably marked Lolly's file with a red label and "Warning, watch mother" for all I know...