Friday, November 09, 2007

Ah yes, but was it enough to put her off indefinitely?

Pouring my morning Cup o' the Gods, out of the corner of my absent-minded eye I noticed a willowy figure gracefully bobbing in the mug just under the surface.

"It's an unground bit of coffee bean," I consoled myself calmly, dipping my finger in. An unground piece of coffee bean that had just happened to dodge the grinders, make it past Quality Control - or do they cut corners and do away with such checkpoints for Free Trade coffee?? - and get its way into a pack, then slip past my (granted) unobservant eye when I dumped a scoop into the pot. Yeah. Of course that's all it was.

That is, if coffee beans ever, before or after grinding, had a head, abdomen, legs, pinchers and antennae.

A dirty great long earwig. Fucker! They really do get into EV-ER-Y-THING don't they just? Someone told me they were attracted to dampness. Well, okay, that's fine. That might explain why they hang around in pairs in my dish cloth on occasion or near the dishwasher or under the dogs' water bowl outside.

But how does it explain finding them once in the spine of a DVD cover?? Oh no, wait. They're attracted to damp places.... it was Four Weddings And A Funeral. Which was a rather wet storyline. No? Bow too long?

So to the question in the title: was it enough to put me off? I'll have a think as I finish this cup and get back to you.

No comments: