Ok, so I'm currently running various polls. Any assistance on offering opinions about any/all the points below is greatly appreciated.
1) Tiles or floorboards? Which would you /wouldn't you choose to live with again and why.
2) Laundry. Is a whole dedicated room overrated? Is it overkill? Do those wacky Europeans have it all worked out with their simple laundry-in-a-cupboard space-saving idea? If I could incorporate in the renovation somehow, a utility cupboard to store the front loader and dryer above, plus some extra bench space with wire drawers under it, would that be a better idea and space saver than an entire laundry room?
3) When it comes to zoning, I am now, even blessed with a daughter who doesn't seem too purturbed at noises louder than a pin dropping outside her door, much more aware of the need to zone communal bathrooms away from the clatter of well-meaning visitors. Even if they are quiet, why is it that they slam the toilet door, make the handle squeal as they turn it (and you never knew it even HAD a squeal), sound like they're washing their hands under the Victoria Falls? WHY?? So the question: is zoning a bathroom and toilet away from the bedrooms and more towards the kitchen/entertaining area better? Or are you like me and trying to appeal to your inner child - the one who was so shit-scared of the dark that you'd even piss the bed before getting up to cross your room and go to the toily in the scary blackness of night? If I put kids' bedrooms down the end of the house, where rumpus and study are and that a busting Lollypop will inevitably have to pass by at some stage in the future to make use of the facilities, is that just one of those things? Or should I have the bathroom between the two kids' rooms?
Thanks ever so. Tentative house plans possibly appearing forthwith. If anyone's interested. I am a nut for da house plans. Cannot stop drawing them. Been doing it since before I hit double figures in age.... It's a curse. But oh, how I love it. And now, finally, I get to USE the damn "skill".
2 comments:
We really are nerdy twins aren't we? I love, love, love drawing house plans. Designed our house (that we never built, but that's another story) and am always looking at house plans and working out how to "fix" them. LOL
Okay in answer to some of your questions.
1) I'm liking the floorboards idea, however, I still love my carpet for the loungeroom, bedrooms and hallways. Love being able to roll around the floor with the kids.
2) Hmmmm, this is difficult. We have a BIG laundry and we have put in a cupboard with a long bench above it and it's great. Saves on an ironing board. ;) BUT it is a crap storer most of the time. ROFL
3)I would separate the kids rooms with toilet, bathroom and laundry. I like the idea of all bedrooms being separated IYKWIM?
And we leave the toilet light on all night so DH doesn't get scared! I don't recall my mum doing it when we were little but, apparently, the toilet light here has been on every night for the past 18 years or so! Some habits are hard to break! Mwahahahaha!
HTH :)
Ah, excellent! Another one here who relentlessly draws house plans :)
1) Tiles vs Floorboards. Hmm. Are we talking about living areas here, or kitchen/bathroom? Personally I'd go tiles in the kitchen/bathroom and floorboards in the living area (actually I'd have carpet but that wasn't one of the choices you listed so I'm assuming you aren't a carpet person! I'm with cjtato on the rolling on the floor with kids, carpet is great for that). Tiles are cold and hard and sometimes slippery - they make me nervous with little kids. So. Floorboards.
2) If you are super organised and have plenty of storage elsewhere in the house, then a Euro laundry should be sufficient. If you want a place to store the ironing board, vaccuum, all cleaning products, dogs leashes, dog food, etc then dedicate the whole room to laundry/storage, vent it and keep the door closed. Personally I'm in frantic need of the latter so I'm a tad biased.
3) Toilet/bathroom near bedrooms, please. I hate walking through a dark shadowy house at night even as an adult. Could you fit in a small toilet/handbasin near the living/kitchen areas as well? That'd be ideal, but I'm guessing that's not an option since you didn't mention it.
Enjoy the house plans :)
Post a Comment