Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Single mothers, I tip my cap at you

How the hell you would do this on your own with no break, I do not know.

The LGBB and I spent the morning at the local A&E hospital department. To add to her current list of woes, a rash appeared overnight. Steve asked if I wanted him to go, I said no. I stuck it out for just two hours. That's all I managed before calling for backup. The screams and hair-pulls and desperation and general inability to calm Lolly down, interspersed with moments of lulling her into a catatonic state with a broken record version (because I can only remember one verse) of the gorgeous Morningtown Ride, was apparently all I was cut out for on the back of three days solid of her angst. I finished Justine's back catalogue in the first half hour. I'd run out of tricks. And I felt pretty damn useless.

We were sent away with only the reassurance that "it's nothing dangerous". Great. Thanks. It doesn't help us make her feel comfortable, does it? A dear friend and I have deduced it's most likely roseola and I'm taking her tomorrow to the homoeopath. She's slightly perkier this afternoon. But only just. Currently, we're dozing in our fold-out couch watching Countdown reruns on VH1 (at's my girl).

I know it's a moot point, but on a day when I was hoping we'd all be well rested, stressed only about the pending proceedings this evening, I find myself desperate for Steve to get home.

I absolutely take my hat off to parents going it on their own. More than one child and I am even more in awe.

6 comments:

Bridgie Didge said...

Oh no - Poor LGBB and poor you for going through all of that with her! :( I hope she is on the mend quickly.

I also hope that tonight goes really well guys - best of luck! The walking opportunities around your new place sound just lovely!

Dani said...

GL tonight and I hope LGBB starts feeling better.

On a side note: I can't believe you sing her the 'Morningtown Train' song. I've been singing this to ALL my nieces and nephews for years - and like you, could only remember the first verse.

Gonna go and torture B with the rest of the song now. I knew you'd come in handy for something :op (jk - you know i adore you)

Hugs
Dani

cjtato said...

Hope it all went well last night and hope the Lollster is on the improve.

Morningtown Ride was always Audrey's lullaby. I remember I used to sing it 5 times all the way through and she would finally go to sleep. If she was still looking at me by the 4th round I would start to panic. ROFL

cjtato said...

PS. There's actually another 2 verses to that too....

Maybe it is raining, where our train will ride. All the little travellers are warm and snug inside. Rockin, rollin, ridin. Out along the bay. All bound for morningtown, many miles away.

Somewhere there is sunshine, somewhere there is rain, somewhere there is morningtown, many miles away (dare you to get the tune to that bit right midway through the song). Rockin, rollin, ridin. Out along the bay. All bound for morningtown, many miles away.

Okay, there you have it. The last 2 verses. Enjoy!

Oh, oh! And guess where I got the words? Patsy Biscoe! Bwahahahaha!!!

Dani said...

OMG Patsy Biscoe - I had her record!! lol

Bridgie Didge said...

Hey K! How did it go???? I've been popping here daily hoping for an update!?? :)

Redted xx