Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Reasons why I won't ever be having a flutter again

... can be found in part here. WARNING BEFORE YOU CLICK: you may be confronted, there may be images you don't want to see - this isn't one of my jokes, by the way, some images of what happens to horses who don't make the grade in the racing industry are graphic.

Years ago, when I was ignorant and naive, when I suspected but didn't want to think about it as I placed my bets and went to Cup Day festivities (either at the track itself or elsewhere), I couldn't have known the real story. I do now. And I can't be a part of it, can't contribute to ensuring it continues.

I make no apologies for this blatant protest against a most vulgar, but slick and cleverly marketed, pastime. I cannot see any good in animals suffering for humans' gain, regardless of it being argued - ironically by those who stand to gain, mostly - that race horses "enjoy" it.

1 comment:

cjtato said...

I looked at this the other night just before I went to bed (note to self: NEVER do that again!).

I meant to say how sick it made me feel and I mean I was almost physically ill!

I honestly had NFI!

So sad :(