Thursday, September 13, 2007

The catch-up post

So, uh..... I've been leaving a few things out. I'll just do them in point form I think.

• At the LGBB's osteo appointment a fortnight ago, I asked the lovely practitioner if she wouldn't mind looking at my dodgy wrist/forearm/elbow ("just cut it off at the shoulder"), being a week or so after I had to take myself to the hospital (thanks, SPAZZ.. I mean, JAZZ). She took a look and said, "Honestly? Save your money, I don't think any treatment will do much good I'm afraid. I hate to say, but time, rest - which we don't have the luxury 0f - and stopping breastfeeding are the only things that will improve it." My ears pricked up at stopping breastfeeding. I quizzed her further on it and she said that basically, the same hormones and fluid-retention that enabled the LGBB to have her solitary morning feed were also contributing to the ongoing aggravated state of my wrist joint.
I hadn't wanted to stop feeding for, oh say, five more years? No, really, I had a bit of a mental brick wall about it, given that the last time I stopped feeding was marred with such utter devastation (failed dry-up tablets that were like putting a tampon in a crack at the Hoover Dam, causing a very nearly nasty onset of mastitis - I'd gone from expressing about 5 times a day to zilch, or just very lightly in the shower after Ella died so unexpectedly - lucky I was coached through by the midwives and avoided getting sick full-blown), I hadn't thought it would be so difficult mentally to stop that last feed.
Turns out, the decision was pretty much taken off me and I gave Lolly her final feed not even realising there would be no more. I made the decision there and then in her office, as the fuse on my temper guage (because of the pain, I'd become like a snappy wounded animal) was sooooo perilously lacking in any more thread that I had to do something.

• Two-ish weeks later, I barely get a niggle from the old tenosyniv-oosiwatsit. The tip to stop breastfeeding (well, she didn't say 'stop', she said it'd get better when...) was a godsend as it's turned out.

• Jazz has decided recently that she's not taking full advantage of her title of Libby yet. So has begun stealing, in that most (endearing, shhhh don't tell her it's actually really funny) Labrador-esque of stealthy moves: the food-grab off the table, bench, anything. Nothing is safe. Not even fruit.

• *cough* That book arrived in the mail today. A complimentary signed copy from the author. I don't think I've ever divulged here, but we were one of the ones that made it to publication stage. Well blow me down with a feather, we're chapter one. Sheet. *cough* Erm..... *shifting feet nervously* It's weird seeing our story in print. And that's not even the half of it. It's more the Readers' Digest version of what's happened to us. But. Uh, yeah... Sheet again.

• I've had a falling out with my latest obsession: the extra strong coffee milk. Turns out, 2 gallons a day and me don't mix. So I stopped cold turkey. But ya think I can stop the cravings?

• Also gone back on the apple cake wagon. Fell off earlier this week and had two.

• Which reminds me, my new love(r) ... ewwww, that word really makes my skin crawl (except when Carrie says it when she's window shopping, looking at shoes) ... is beckoning me from the pantry. Coming, Heaven truffle chockies! Cominnnng!

No comments: