Thursday, September 27, 2007

Forever Ours

I'm engrossed in a book I'll be finished in but a few hours. It's called Forever Ours, by Janis Amatuzio, MD.

It's a collection of tales from a lifetime of work by a forensic pathologist and her experiences with people who are dying/have died and their loved ones. Uncanny interesting reading. Just as with the last book, when I felt so very close to Ellanor, I was reading just before and paused at a moment where a wave washed over me. Became too close, too much, too real. And I remembered sitting with my hand on her lifeless, warm little foot as she drifted away out of my tangible reality again.

It doesn't happen often, these days usually only when I've read or watched something that makes me remember. But I realised just how much we had lost. I miss her. It hurt instantly in that familiar place in my chest. And I felt, without saying a word just now, I miss you. The cheeky li'l monkey replied gently, I miss you too. With far less emotion and no angst. Just a whole mass of love and smiley happiness behind her words.

And I nearly fell off the couch. She's never said anything like that before.

No comments: